Author Topic: Bentwater and RAF Woodbridge ufo case  (Read 7838 times)

Offline carlarama00

• look beyond your eye sight. nothing is as it seems
  • Referrals: 0
  • Belief: Believer
Bentwater and RAF Woodbridge ufo case
« on: February 25, 2010, 18:15:46 PM »
I wanted to share this for those who may not be aware of the case, I lived in RAF woodbridge for a short spell and I can report it has a very strage feeling about it, and also I personally witnessed some very odd sightings and sensations while walking my dog I had at the time in the woods in question! what also fasinates me is that this base in woodbridge was for most of its time an american air base mmnn.

THE BENTWATERS RENDLESHAM FOREST INCIDENT
Update January 2005 - Police Documents released under Freedom of Information Act (More information and documents further down the page)

One of Great Britain's most significant Military-UFO incidents happened at Rendlesham forest in Suffolk on three consecutive nights in late December 1980. Rendlesham is a vast pine forest east of Ipswich that is near Orford Ness. There is a prominent lighthouse (of which we will discuss later),as well as some other buildings that were situated on this island. In 1980, they were rumoured to be operated by the National Security Agency (NSA) - one of the US's most covert intelligence units. Stories of Top Secret experiments were rife, although the official function of the buildings was given as a site for research into 'over the horizon' radar. Gordon Levitt lived in an isolated house on the edge of the forest in Sudbourne. On December 26th, 1980, he had been out in the garden with his dog when he suddenly looked up and spotted a peculiar object flying towards them. The UFO looked like an upturned mushroom with a greenish-white glow.The craft soon silently passed them and carried on towards the twin NATO air bases of RAF Woodbridge and RAF Bentwaters. The next morning, Levitt's dog became ill - cowering in its kennel as if afraid to come out. Its condition worsened and it died a few days later.By the east gate of RAF Woodbridge that night were US Air Force security patrolmen John Burroughs and Budd Parker. They soon spotted the strange craft and at first thought that it may be a plane about to crash, however they soon realised that the craft was hovering downwards and eventually landed in the woods. They could see a pulsating mass of coloured lights, described by witnesses as looking like a Christmas tree. Burroughs quickly phoned the base. It was 2 a.m. and there should not have been any aircraft in the vicinity. Within minutes, security patrol sergeant Jim Penniston was on his way by jeep, driven by Herman Kavanasac.Once they arrived, they too saw the strange craft, lights were flickering through the trees and Penniston, who took command, tried to persuade Burroughs and Parker that a plane had crashed and was blazing out of control. But the two patrolmen knew that what was out there had landed and not crashed.Budd Parker stayed at the gate while the others entered the forest. There was some kind of strange electrical field pervading the woods, the radio contact with the base began to break down. Penniston ordered Kavanasac to stay back near the road so they could use him to relay messages to the main base. Penniston and Burroughs continued deeper into the forest, it was at this point that the air became alive with energy - crackling as if within a thunderstorm, even the mens hair stood on end, and their skin began to tingle.Penniston has said since the incident 'It was definitely not in the Jane's book of World Aircraft,'. He described it as a conical object about the size of a small car, floating on beams of light (others reported seeing thin legs) only 30 cms or so above the ground. It had a strange, misty aura and on its side were black marks that could have been writing.As the men tried to get closer to the object they described it as like trying to walk through treacle, as they could not seem to close in on the object. Suddenly, there was a flash of light, and the craft soared up into the air.Penniston and Burroughs claim they came close to an object that was like nothing they had ever seen before. As Airman (later Sergeant) John Burroughs insisted 'I do not now whether this was some kind of machine under intelligent control or a fantastic natural phenomenon - some rare kind of energy. What I do know is that it was nothing mundane. There are no words that can adequately describe the wonder of what we saw'

The UFO Returns

The following morning signs of the UFO's presence were found in the forest. Many trees had their tops broken and three holes were found in the frozen soil in a triangular formation, matching the location of the legs seen beneath the UFO the previous night. An A-10 plane which flew over the site at dawn picked up infra-red radiation pouring from the forest.That night there was an officers' party at RAF Bentwaters. Not long into this event Lieutenant Bruce Englund entered the room and told the base commander Ted Conrad that 'it' was back. As Conrad was just about to present an after-dinner speech, he asked his deputy, Lt Col Charles Halt, if he could sort out the matter. Deputy Base Commander Halt (later promoted to Lt Col Halt) gathered a team of skilled men, including Sergeant Nevells of the 'Disaster Preparedness' team and took a Geiger counter to measure radiation. Halt also took a dictaphone to help him make notes. Englund gathered light-alls (gas-powered arc lights), and the small party of men ventured out towards the edge of the base.A security cordon was set up around the perimetre of the woods to prevent any curious airmen or local villagers from getting in the way. An hour earlier a security patrol had spotted strange lights floating in the sky above the forest. But these lights had quickly disappeared. On entering the wood, the colonel was told that the UFO was no longer visible. However, the light-alls seemed to keep cutting out and he had to send someone to get more from the base.The team's radio communication (transcribed further in this article) both to the base and with each other were showing static interference, similar to that experienced the night before. Burroughs - hearing what was happening - decided to to join the group. But there was nothing unusual to see, except for a few stars and the pulsating light of the Orford Ness lighthouse and the Shipwash lightship further to the south. The men took several soil and tree bark samples as well as making radio observations of what they found.Out of nowhere all hell broke loose. Noises could be heard in the background as Halt cut in sharply telling his men to 'slow down' and take it carefully. The UFO was back. It had been spotted at 1.48 a.m. by a group of men who had ventured deep into the forest, which included John Burroughs and Sergeant Adrian Bustinza - who describes how the glowing light rested on a pillar of yellowish mist and split in the middle like a rainbow produced by a prism. Halt and his team had spotted the craft by now and said he initially considered mirages or weather-induced temperature inversions. Now the area of light resembled a huge eye with a dark centre. The group of men followed the light through the woods, crossing a farmer's field and stumbling through a small brook.They chased it for more than an hour when, suddenly the object shot skywards, Halt reported 'Now we observe what appears to be a beam coming down towards the ground - this is unreal.' Soon after, tired and wet, Halt led his men home. Strange lights were still seen above the Woodbridge base, flashing laser-like beams down into the security area of the base. Hundreds of personnel were said to have witnessed them. Local residents - such as Sarah Richardson, whose bedroom overlooked the base - saw them too. She later described them as 'bands of rippling colour.'

Radiation Readings

Files detailing the Geiger counter readings taken at the scene were shown to experts by Nick Pope in 1994 who asses radiation levels for the government. According to Pope, they expressed surprise at the recordings and confirmed that the figures were ten times the expected background levels.

Nuclear Base

Suspicion centred on the presence of nuclear weapons at RAF Bentwaters - which was denied by the base and the British government at the time. More than a decade later, it was admitted that this denial was untrue.

Larry Warren

Larry Warren, a member of the US Air Force Security Police, was posted to England on 1st December, 1980. Just a few weeks later, he was involved in the bizarre encounter that occured in Rendlesham Forest. He says ' I was taken off my post to the forest, with a number of the other personnel who were bringing lighting equipment out used to illuminate large areas, but it wouldn't work because of a mechanical malfunction. We still had no idea what we were up to. A dim red light, opposite the Orford lighthouse, stopped over a strange mist on the ground.
It quickly transformed into a triangular object covering approximately 30 feet (10 metres), going to a sharp pyramid about 20 feet (6.6 metres) in height. It had a solid structure, with a rough surface. Some of the group ran away, others stayed put, like myself. I couldn't move - i don't know whether it was shock or if it was outside influence. It was dreamlike... I think time was distorted and perceptions were intentionally affected by this intelligence. There was one reality and in front of you was another. I felt slower on that night. Everything was on half speed and something was wrong - something was out of place.

Caught On Radar

East Anglia has always had extensive radar coverage, ever vigilant for a possible invasion from across the North Sea. This ensured that the object seen on 26th of December was detected. At RAF Neatishead, an unidentified object appeared on the radar and created panic in the control room. It returned no signal and was outperforming the RAF's finest aircraft. As they lost it off screen at a phenomenal speed, the matter was subject to a major investigation. The Neatishead radar tapes and those from nearby RAF Watton were requisitioned three days later. Remarkably, when USAF intelligence officers visited Watton to collect the film, they claimed that a UFO had crashed into the forest. Senior officers from a nearby USAF airbase witnessed the event, they said, and they had even seen aliens floating in beams of light underneath the spacecraft. Incredibly, the radar officers were not even told to keep this extraordinary story secret.

Blanket Of Silence

By the end of 26th of December, US Deputy Base Commander Charles Halt and his British liaison officer - Squadron Leader Donald Moreland - were in discussions with their respective governments. A 'stand-up' meeting involving senior staff was held, and it was decided not to make any public revelations about the case. Soon, top-secret flights were arriving at the twin bases of Bentwaters and Woodbridge, and staff from covert US intelligence agencies were involved. Officers Burroughs, Penniston, and the other witnesses, were cut out of the loop. So too were senior personnel at the base - even deputy base commander Charles Halt was not allowed to know what was going on.Had the cover-up begun?

Some sceptics have suggested various explanations for this event, including the lighthouse being seen from the forest, an experiment to see what the men's reaction would be to a threat close to a nuclear base, and even a meteor. If this is indeed the case, how can they explain the radar sightings?

Below is the report that Lt Col Halt Filed concerning the incident at Bentwaters, Suffolk, United Kingdom.

1980.Department of the Air ForceHeadquarter 81st Combat Support Group (USAFE)APO NEW YORK DY735 13 Jan 81
Reply to Attn of: CD
Subject: Unexplained Lights
To: RAF/CC1.

Early in the morning of 27 Dec 80 (approximately 0300L), two USAF security police patrolmen saw unusual lights outside the back gate at RAF Woodbridge. Thinking an aircraft might have crashed or been forced down, they called for permission to go outside the gate to investigate. The on-duty flight chief responded and allowed three patrolmen to proceed on foot. The individuals reported seeing a strange glowing object in the forest. The Object was described as being metalic (sic) in appearance and triangular in shape, approximately two and three meters across the base and approximately two meters high. It illuminated the entire forest with a white light. The object itself had a pulsing red light on top and a bank(s) of blue lights underneath. the object was hovering or on legs. As the patrolmen approached the object, it manoeuvred though the trees and disappeared. At this time the animals on a nearby farm went into a frenzy. The object was briefly sighted approximately an hour later near the back gate.2. The next day, three depressions 1 1/2" deep and 7" in diameter were found where the object had been sighted on the ground. The following night (29 Dec 80) the area was checked for radiation. Beta/gamma readings of 0.1 milliroentgens were recorded with peak readings in the three depressions and near the center of the triangle formed by the depressions. A nearby tree had moderate (.05 - .07) readings on the side of the tree toward the depressions.3. Later in the night a red sun-like light was seen though the trees. It moved about and pulsed. At one point it appeared to throw off glowing particles and then broke into five separate white objects and then disappeared. Immediately thereafter, three star-like objects were noticed in the sky, two objects to the north and one to the south, all of which were about 10 degrees off the horizon. The objects moved rapidly in sharp angular movements and displayed red, green and blue lights. The objects to the north appeared to be elliptical through an 8-12 power lens. They then turned to full circles. The objects to the north remained in the sky for an hour or more. The object to the south was visible for two or three hours and beamed down a stream of light from time to time. Numerous individuals, including the undersigned, witnessed the activities in paragraphs 2 and 3.

(Signed)Charles I. Halt
Lt. Col. USAFDeputy Base
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 21:29:44 PM by Steve Watkins »
its just an illusion, step in to my world, the world of the extraterrestrial will seem far more normal, love, be loved and let them love you. and look up, right up... belive and you will see and feel. MWAH!

AlienExistence

Bentwater and RAF Woodbridge ufo case
« on: February 25, 2010, 18:15:46 PM »

Offline Mike

• Too late now....it's all happening!
  • Belief: Private Belief
Re: Bentwater and RAF Woodbridge ufo case
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 20:25:48 PM »
To be honest Carla, I suspect this particular case is better known, researched and talked about than even Roswell. Even to the point where some joker came out of the woodwork last year and claimed it was all down to him setting fire to a stolen lorry load of fertilizer in a lay-bye just up the road from the base on that particular night. Do a site search on "Woodbridge" and you'll find all the previous posts. Why does it fascinate you that RAF Woodbridge was a USAF base? Many RAF bases were leased to the US and still are today, Fairford for example. It's just an arrangement. To be honest, if the US Forces ever withdraw from Europe there will be massive redundancy and loads of surplus bases going begging, because the RAF  can't justify them. If nothing else it will please the developers; all those brown-field building sites! Pity they tend to be in relatively remote places.  ::)

Sorry, didn't mean to detract from the fascination of the Woodbridge/Rendlesham case though. Definitely something very odd going on. One wonders if they were checking out the nuclear weapons stored there and possibly even neutralising them. It's a nice thought, anyway. May explain why humanity has not actually wiped itself out so far, and not for the want of trying, either; somebody "fixed" the weapons. Comforting thought, isn't it?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 20:35:10 PM by Mike »
"Against stupidity, even the Gods battled in vain"

Offline carlarama00

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 20:53:00 PM »
thanks for that mike, i am pretty new to all this, and for newcomers like me i thought it would help, the reason i find it interesting that the Americans were there is that they seem to be the main set of people who have access to aliens and there craft just an idea, like i say i lived there for a spell very odd place indeed and the trees  are still missing there tops! would be nice to say if they were disarming but who knows.
its just an illusion, step in to my world, the world of the extraterrestrial will seem far more normal, love, be loved and let them love you. and look up, right up... belive and you will see and feel. MWAH!

Offline Mike

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 22:50:30 PM »
I sometimes wonder if the reason the Americans seem to have most "contact" with aliens - and I'm not sure that they necessarily do - may be because, to an outsider, they are perceived as, arguably, the most war-like and aggressive, hi-tech nation on the planet with interfering fingers in every "pie". Consequently, they need a close eye - or whatever passes for an eye - kept on them by our alien brothers. Just a thought. :D

Offline carlarama00

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 00:33:17 AM »
i dare say....when the time comes for clear contacts the governments of the world will bugger it up, such a shame because contact could be so usefull, we are not daft as a people why they don't just spill the beans i do not no

Offline Mike

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 11:42:55 AM »
....... such a shame because contact could be so useful. We are not daft as a people, so why they don't just spill the beans, I do not know......

I'll reserve judgement on that, if you don't mind. In my experience, common sense ain't so common at any strata of our society!  ::)

Offline t2hlim

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 09:41:11 AM »
also I personally witnessed some very odd sightings and sensations while walking my dog I had at the time in the woods

-----------------

can you tell us more please?

rgds T

Where there is shouting, there is no true knowledge Leonardo da Vinci

Offline frenchbulldog

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 18:42:25 PM »
I was stationed at RAF Bentwaters 1980 - 1983 and was a member of the 81st SPS. Our Squadron provided security to both Bentwaters and neighboring RAF Woodbridge base. We were the principle intial contact with the UFO. I often stood post at East Gate Charlie, where the event was centralized and responded to by our security forces. Couple of facts on the story below, the person was named Edward Cabansag, not Herman and I lived in the dorm near his room and he was a very close friend of mine. I was not posted on the night of the events, I am not a direct eye witness. But can tell you with 100% accuracy, based on the testimonies in the dorm in the days following the event, this did happen. Far too many that saw the object had exactly the same story filled with details. Problem was we couild not tell a soul due to threats from our very own USAF Internal Investgation Dept, OSI. We were told bullets are cheap. You form a special bond with your fellow Airmen in the military, a trust. I knew many of the frst hand observers of this event, they did not lie and this DID happen. But when you run around the base mentioning you saw flying saucers, they can revoke your security clearance and for the cops and security personnnel that saw this event first hand, it would have meant the end of their careers when security clearences are revoked.

Offline corij

• Referrals: 1
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 16:26:38 PM »
around the year 2000 in connection with my work i was in a farm field near the East gate with an  old gamekeeper (the same gamey who was living in the farmhouse next to  the ufo incident at that time)

suddenly we heard a strange loud  noise coming from the base,this made gamey look up in horror . straight away the noise changed and was immediately then recognizable as rotor noise from a helicopter on the base .Gamey looked at me with a sigh of relief and said "for a moment i thought theyd come back-  i was there on the night of the UFO do you know that?"

he said nothing more on the subject,but i know for sure he was serious about the UFO event .  i cannot remember gameys name but he was/is a real honest old suffolk boy who does shooting in the woods adj to the East gate

EDITremembered his name, david boast
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 17:10:35 PM by corij »

Offline Mike

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 21:30:34 PM »
Nice one, Sir. Do you know if he is still alive and well?

Offline corij

• Referrals: 1
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 07:15:05 AM »
Nice one, Sir. Do you know if he is still alive and well?
dont know,i havent been down that way in over ten years .  if he is he will likely still be there in that white/pink farmhouse cottage. hes the old school sort that if you asked him directly he would probably deny all knowledge.  it was pure chance he opened up to me that day , just because he thought briefly it was the aliens returning and it scared him to his boots

soon as he realized it was the noise of a helicopter he shut up . the initial noise we heard was a sudden vicious KerrRAAAANG , probably it was the engine/ gearbox engaging in anger on takeoff  . we could not see it as the base is surrounded by tall pine trees. whatever ,this noise must have reminded the gamekeeper ,so perhaps thats the noise the crafts  make?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 08:17:46 AM by corij »

AlienExistence

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 07:15:05 AM »